HPV vaccination of girls offers benefits to men but does not reduce risk of some cancers
the ONA take:
The association between human papillomavirus (HPV) and cervical cancer in women is well established.
Furthermore, vaccinating girls has had a positive impact on the incidence of cervical cancer in many countries in which the practice was adopted.
Men benefit indirectly from vaccinating girls in that their risk of contracting HPV is reduced; however, this does not protect men from cancers associated with the virus.
The HPV vaccine has been found effective in boys, but universal vaccination of boys is practiced in only a few countries (Australia, Austria, two Canadian provinces, and the United States).
Dutch researchers sought to estimate the benefit to men if boys were vaccinated against HPV, as well.
Their findings show that benefits from vaccinating boys would not be as significant as they are in girls. Therefore, the researchers suggest that programs for vaccinating girls should continue but including boys may be warranted.
Men benefit indirectly but not from cancer risk associated with the virus.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Adhering to Cytoreductive Therapy Use May Improve Outcomes in Polycythemia Vera
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- Alternate Dosing of Ruxolitinib May Alleviate Anemia in Myelofibrosis
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Oral Hydration Effectively Reduced Risk of Nephrotoxity After Cisplatin
- Young Survivors of Breast Cancer Report Sexual Quality of Life Declines After Treatment
- The Efficacy and Tolerance of High Pressure Oxygen Combined With Chemotherapy in Postoperative Patients With Advanced Gastric Cancer
- Hepatocellular Cancer Pain: Impact and Management Challenges
- Serum Albumin May Indicate Prognosis for Survival in Acute Myeloblastic Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|