Depression as prognostic indicator of survival, nutritional status in head and neck cancer
the ONA take:
Presence of depression can have a significant impact on patient quality of life and treatment outcomes. This study evaluated the association between presence of pretreatment depression and pretreatment quality of life (QOL), nutritional status, and survival outcomes in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC).
The researchers enrolled 241 patients with previously untreated HNSCC who underwent curative treatments. The Beck Depression Inventory (BDI)-II was used to determine depressive (score ≥14) vs. nondepressive (score <14) patients.
Participants also completed the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) 30-item Core QOL Questionnaire (QLQ-C30) and the EORTC QLQ Head and Neck module (QLQ-H&N35).
Univariate and multivariate analyses were used to assess whether presence of depression was associated with overall survival, disease-free survival (DFS), or posttreatment changes in nutritional status and laboratory data.
Pretreatment depression was present in 60 patients. Study findings showed 3-year overall survival rates, 3-year DFS rates, and pretreatment serum albumin levels were lower in the depressive patients.
EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-H&N35 scores differed between depressive and nondepressive patients on all items except feeding tube, nutritional supplement, and problem with mouth opening.
The researchers conclude that pretreatment depression has a significant impact on pretreatment QOL, nutritional status, and survival outcomes in patients with HNSCC.
Presence of depression can have a significant impact on patient quality of life and treatment outcomes.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|