Cancer survivors, families express strong intentions for lifestyle changes after final cancer treatment
the ONA take:
According to a new study conducted by researchers at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, researchers have found that the period of time between a patient's final cancer treatment and the patient's first post-treatment follow-up appointment may be the best time for the patient's entire household to start a healthy lifestyle.
For the study, researchers surveyed and interviewed cancer survivors diagnosed with breast, lung, colorectal, head and neck, or prostate cancers and their family caregivers within 3 weeks of a patient's final cancer treatment.
Questions were designed to determine family members' intentions, physical activity, perceived benefit and confidence about eating a healthy diet, and smoking cessation. Results showed that caregivers and family members strongly intended to improve their nutrition and physical activity, but also acknowledged dealing with high levels of emotional distress.
Patients also reported intentions to improve physical activity and nutrition. The findings support the use of interventions to help cancer survivors and their cancer caregivers to make behavioral changes during the period between the final cancer treatment and the first follow-up appointment.
The researchers also encourage caregivers to seek resources to help manage the mental and physical stress of caring for someone with cancer.
Period of time between a patient's final cancer treatment and the patient's first post-treatment follow-up appointment may be best.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Adhering to Cytoreductive Therapy Use May Improve Outcomes in Polycythemia Vera
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- Alternate Dosing of Ruxolitinib May Alleviate Anemia in Myelofibrosis
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Oral Hydration Effectively Reduced Risk of Nephrotoxity After Cisplatin
- Young Survivors of Breast Cancer Report Sexual Quality of Life Declines After Treatment
- The Efficacy and Tolerance of High Pressure Oxygen Combined With Chemotherapy in Postoperative Patients With Advanced Gastric Cancer
- Hepatocellular Cancer Pain: Impact and Management Challenges
- Serum Albumin May Indicate Prognosis for Survival in Acute Myeloblastic Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|