Current flu virus may mutate and evade vaccine, CDC warns
the ONA take:
Although the flu season has just recently begun, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a health warning about the current flu vaccine.
This vaccine prevents against three to four strains of the virus, but may not affect the H3N2 strain, which has infected most people but has mutated so that the vaccine won’t prevent the virus in half of the cases.
When flu viruses mutate, which happens quite often, they are called “drifts”, and since vaccines are formulated months in advance, they won’t protect well against these drifted viruses, but may provide cross-protection.
Although cross-protection won’t complete prevent the virus, it may help reduce the likelihood of severe outcomes, particularly for those at highest risk, including the elderly and very young children. The CDC still recommends everyone 6 months or older should receive the vaccine, despite the mutated strain.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a health warning about the current flu vaccine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|