Early palliative care lowers hospital costs in patients with advanced cancer
the ONA take:
Earlier palliative care consultation during hospital admission is associated with lower cost of hospital stay for patients admitted with a diagnosis of advanced cancer, a study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology has shown.
For the prospective study, researchers collected clinical and cost data for adult patients admitted to five hospital in the United States from 2007 to 2011. The researchers identified 969 patients. Of those, 256 received a palliative care consultation and 713 received usual care only.
Results showed that a palliative care consultation within 6 days of admission is estimated to lower costs by $1,312 compared with no intervention. Researchers found that a palliative care consultation within 2 days reduced costs by $2,280. These figures correspond to a 14% and 24% decrease, respectively, in cost of hospital stay.
The findings suggest that early palliative care should be more widely adopted.
Earlier palliative care consultation during hospital admission is associated with lower cost of hospital stay.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|