Head And Neck Cancer
In a phase 2 study, researchers sought to determine the effectiveness of adding HMB/Arg/Gln to cisplatin-based chemoradiotherapy for patients with head and cancers to prevent CRT-induced oral mucositis.
In a study from the Cleveland Clinic, researchers investigated the association between well-differentiated thyroid cancer and risk for AML or CML in those patients treated with radioactive iodine.
Researchers compared opioid use between head and neck cancer (HNCA) and lung or colon cancer (LCCA) cohorts.
Study results show the effect on high-grade toxicity when 5-FU is replaced with docetaxel in the EXTREME regimen in the palliative treatment of patients with metastatic SCCHN.
This study sought to determine if continuing preoperative aspirin therapy would increase the risk of bleeding complications in patients undergoing thyroid surgery.
1. Hot tea consumption in combination with excessive smoking or alcohol use was associated with a higher risk for esophageal cancer. 2. In the absence of excessive alcohol use and smoking, daily tea drinking was not linked to increased risk for esophageal cancer. Evidence Rating Level: 1 (Excellent) Study Rundown: Esophageal cancer is a concern 
Study compared the effect of treatments on quality of life in treatment-naïve patients with HNC vs those who underwent radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy, and compared with cancer-free patients.
[Cancer Management and Research] Radiation dose, fractionation strategies, and predictive factors of response to therapy in patients with esophageal carcinoma are reviewed to determine if more intense local therapy would lead to better outcomes and for which patients.
In this study, researchers sought to determine the effect depressive symptoms during treatment planning had on immediate and long-term outcomes for patients with head and neck cancer.
Papillary thyroid cancer patients with LND 0.19 have worse disease-specific, overall survival, researchers found.
Periodontal pathogen Tannerella forsythia linked to increased risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma
Using the statewide Utah Population Database, investigators sought to determine the long-term effects of thyroid cancer on survivors who were younger than 40 years at diagnosis.
Data on psychosocial and psychiatric variables of patients with HNC prior to treatment was analyzed to determine the extent of cognitive impairment and quality of life for patients with head and neck cancer, and its impact on patient outcomes.
Using a data sample from the CDC National Program for Cancer Registries, investigators determined how demographic factors — age, race, and sex — impact 5-year survival rates for HPV-associated cancers from initial diagnosis until death.
Patients with head and neck cancer treated at hospitals attaining the combined metric of a 90 percent or higher negative margin rate and 80% percent of cases achieving a LNY of 18 or more experienced a significant reduction in mortality.
Aggressive de-escalation of chemoradiation after surgery in patients with HPV-associated OPSCC led to similar disease control and improved quality of life and safety profile compared with historical controls, according to data presented at the ASTRO 59th Annual Meeting.
A quality improvement project demonstrates that routine distress assessment using the NCCN DT/PL in patients with head and neck cancers improves referrals for psychosocial services.
The researchers found that the majority of patients had no frank detectable cognitive impairment after undergoing skull base irradiation.
Resistance Training, Nutritional Interventions Prevent Muscle Loss During, After Radiotherapy for Head and Neck CancerAugust 01, 2017
Intervention with resistance training and nutritional supplements during and after radiation therapy is not only feasible, but also shown to prevent loss of muscle mass and improve quality of life in patients with head and neck cancer (HNC).
Risk of Thyroid Cancer Increased With Fruit Juice Consumption, No Effect With Fruit and Vegetable ConsumptionJuly 26, 2017
No correlation was found between fruit and vegetable consumption and the risk of differentiated thyroid cancer, but a positive trend may be associated with fruit juice intake.
Lenvatinib Improves OS, PFS in Radioiodine-Refractory Differentiated Thyroid Cancer in All Older PatientsJune 27, 2017
Results from a sub-analysis of the impact of age on the safety and efficacy of lenvatinib in patients with RR-DTC in the SELECT trial showed that lenvatinib significantly increased PFS.
Immunotherapy regimens FDA-approved for the treatment of melanoma may also be an option for a rare and aggressive form of papillary thyroid cancer.
Small study also showed that pembrolizumab does not significant impair radiation or chemotherapy dosing.
Study also provides evidence supporting an anti-tumor effect associated with a single preoperative dose of pembrolizumab.
Combining extracorporeal shock wave (ESW) technique with nanoparticle delivery improves treatment of difficult-to-treat solid tumors, such as anaplastic thyroid cancer.
Although screening is often recommended as the first line of prevention for most cancers, recent recommendation from the USPSTF advises against thyroid cancer screening in nonsymptomatic adults.
Disease-specific survivorship care plans (SCPs) for head and neck cancer support a successful transition to a healthy lifestyle after curative intent therapy of larynx and oral cavity/pharynx cancer.
A literature review noted improvements in quality of life after patients were coached and educated following radiotherapy for HPV-associated oropharyngeal cancers.
Clinical practice guideline from ASTRO addresses optimal radiation doses and fractionation schedules, integrating therapies, and induction chemotherapy for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OPSCC).
Thyroid is more likely to be managed with surgical intervention when patients have access to expanded health insurance.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Physical Inactivity Linked With Increased Risk of Hodgkin, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Challenges for Young Adult Couples Facing a Cancer Diagnosis
- Progression-Free Survival Extended With PANEX Protocol in R/R Multiple Myeloma
- Following ACS Guidelines Shown to Improve Outcomes for Colon Cancer Survivors
- In Older Women With Breast Cancer QoL May Predict 10-Year Mortality
- Letter-Writing Project Communicates Care Wishes to Healthcare Team, Family
- Pivot Nurse Improves Patients' Navigation Through Lung Cancer Care
- Long-term Carfilzomib May Be Safe, Effective In Relapsed Multiple Myeloma
- Palliative Sedation a Valid Option for Refractory Symptoms in End-stage Cancer
- Testicular Cancer Treatment May Increase Risk for Heart Disease in Survivors
- Spotlight on Triptorelin in the Treatment of Premenopausal Women with Early-Stage Breast Cancer
- Redefining Prognosis for Hematologic Cancers in Older Adults by Age
- Outcomes for Elderly With Hematologic Cancers Effected by Cognitive Impairments
- Evolving Role of Radiation Therapy in the Treatment of Mesothelioma
- FDA Approves Fostamatinib for ITP After Insufficient Response to Previous Treatment
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|