Generic Name and Formulations:
Ceftazidime 500mg, 1g, 2g; IM or IV inj; sodium content 2.3mEq/g.
Indications for FORTAZ:
Susceptible infections including septicemia, pneumonia, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, gynecologic, intraabdominal, meningitis, urinary tract.
Uncomplicated UTIs: 250mg IV or IM every 12hrs. Complicated UTIs: 500mg IV or IM every 8–12hrs. Uncomplicated pneumonia, mild skin or skin structure: 500mg–1g IV or IM every 8hrs. Bone and joint: 2g IV every 12hrs. Serious gynecologic, intraabdominal, meningitis, or very severe life-threatening (esp. immunocompromised): 2g IV every 8hrs. Lung infections by Pseudomonas in cystic fibrosis: 30–50mg/kg IV every 8hrs (max 6g/day). Renal impairment: CrCl 31–50mL/min: 1g every 12hrs; CrCl 16–30mL/min: 1g every 24hrs; CrCl 6–15mL/min: 500mg every 24hrs; CrCl <5mL/min: 500mg every 48hrs. Hemodialysis: 1g loading dose then 1g after dialysis session. Peritoneal dialysis: 1g loading dose then 500mg every 24hrs.
Neonates: 30mg/kg IV every 12hrs. 1mo–12yrs: 30–50mg/kg IV every 8hrs (max 6g/day). Renal impairment: reduce dose.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment; see Adult. Monitor prothrombin time in renal or hepatic dysfunction, poor nutritional states, or long-term use. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate nephrotoxicity of aminoglycosides or diuretics. Antagonized by chloramphenicol. False (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's, or Fehling's soln.
Hypersensitivity reactions (eg, rash, pruritus, fever), local reactions, GI upset, elevated liver enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|