Folic acid injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Folic acid 5mg/mL; soln for IV, IM or SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol and aluminum.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Folic acid injection:
Megaloblastic anemias of folic acid deficiency. Anemias of nutritional origin, pregnancy, infancy or childhood.
Adults and Children:
Usual dose: up to 1mg daily; may need higher dose if resistant disease. Maintenance: infants: 0.1mg/day; <4yrs: 0.3mg/day; ≥4yrs: 0.4mg/day. Pregnant or lactating: 0.8mg/day. Alcoholism, hemolytic anemia, anticonvulsant therapy or chronic infection: may require higher dose.
Use injectable form if disease is severe or GI absorption impaired. Rule out or treat vitamin B12 deficiency prior to treatment. May obscure diagnosis of pernicious anemia. Pregnancy (Cat. A).
May antagonize phenytoin. False low serum and red cell folate levels may occur with antibiotics (eg. tetracycline).
Formerly known under the brand names Folicet (tabs); Folvite (tabs, inj).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|