Ergotamine tartrate + Caffeine Suppositories Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ergotamine tartrate 2mg, caffeine 100mg; rectal supp.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ergotamine tartrate + Caffeine Suppositories:
Migraine, migraine variants, cluster headaches.
1 supp rectally at onset of attack, then 1 supp after 1 hour if needed; max 2 supps/attack, 5 supps/week.
Peripheral vascular disease. Coronary heart disease. Hypertension. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Sepsis. Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, erythromycin, clarithromycin, troleandomycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole) or other vasoconstrictors. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Monitor for ergotism; do not exceed recommended dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, protease inhibitors, macrolides, azole antifungals, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, grapefruit juice, zileuton), propranolol, nicotine. Severe hypertension with sympathomimetics.
Vasoconstrictive complications or ergotism (eg, ischemia, cold extremities, vasospasm, ECG changes, hyper- or hypotension, numbness, gangrene, dizziness), precordial or muscle pain, tachycardia, bradycardia, nausea, vomiting, local edema, itching; rarely: retroperitoneal and pleuropulmonary fibrosis, cardiac valve fibrosis (chronic use).
Supps formerly known under the brand names Cafergot, Migergot.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Qualitative Analysis of Myeloma Patients' Experience Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Involved-Field Radiotherapy Plus Chemotherapy Prolonged PFS in Follicular Lymphoma
- Patient Fears of Placebo Use in Clinical Trials
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|