ELIGEN B12 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyanocobalamin 1000mcg, salcaprozate sodium 100mg; tabs.
Indications for ELIGEN B12:
Dietary management of patients with Vit. B12 deficiency that cannot be managed by a modification of the normal diet alone (eg, pernicious anemia, malabsorption of Vit. B12, others).
Take on empty stomach (at least 1hr before a meal) with water. ≥18yrs: initially 1 tab daily; may adjust up to max 2 tabs daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Sensitivity to cobalt. Hereditary optic nerve atrophy (Leber's disease).
Confirm diagnosis. Risk of hypokalemia and sudden death in severe megaloblastic anemia. Infection, uremia, and iron or folic acid deficiency may reduce response. May unmask polycythemia vera. Obtain hematocrit, reticulocyte count, Vit. B12, folate, iron levels prior to treatment. May need supplemental folate. Reevaluate if low levels of Vit. B12 persist despite treatment. Monitor B12 blood levels 1 month after starting therapy, 1 month after any dose increase, and regularly at 3–6 month intervals. Monitor serum potassium, platelet counts. Pregnancy.
Antibiotics, methotrexate, pyrimethamine may interfere with lab tests. Colchicine, para-aminosalicylic acid, chronic heavy alcohol use may impair Vit. B12 absorption; may need to adjust dose. Reduced response with bone marrow suppressants (eg, chloramphenicol).
Pulmonary edema, CHF, peripheral vascular thrombosis, polycythemia vera, mild transient diarrhea, itching, transitory exanthema, body swelling, possible anaphylactic shock and death.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|