Generic Name and Formulations:
Dexamethasone 0.5mg, 0.75mg, 1mg, 1.5mg, 2mg, 4mg, 6mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Dexamethasone :
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Initially 0.75–9mg daily.
Systemic fungal infection. Live vaccination. Ocular herpes simplex. Cerebral malaria.
Asthma (inj). Strongyloides infestation. Varicella. Vaccinia. Recent MI. Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Hypothyroidism. Cirrhosis. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Renal insufficiency. Ulcerative colitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Diverticulitis. Peptic ulcer. CHF. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Myasthenia gravis. Hypoprothrombinemia. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, macrolides), cyclosporine, estrogens. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin), ephedrine. May potentiate cyclosporine. May antagonize anticoagulants (monitor), isoniazid, other CYP3A4 substrates (eg, indinavir, erythromycin). Increased risk of arrhythmias with digitalis. May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents. Increased GI effects with aspirin. Monitor for hypokalemia with potassium-depleting drugs (eg, amphotericin B, diuretics). Toxic epidermal necrolysis possible with thalidomide. Concomitant indomethacin: may get false-negative on dexamethasone suppression test. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, masks infection, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance, inj site reactions.
Formerly known under the brand names Decadron, Dexone, Hexadrol.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Obesity, Male Gender May Improve Survival Outcomes with Targeted and Immunotherapy in Melanoma
- Apalutamide Prolongs Time to Metastasis in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|