Generic Name and Formulations:
Deferoxamine mesylate 250mg/mL; for inj after reconstitution.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for DESFERAL:
Acute iron intoxication. Chronic iron overload due to multiple transfusions.
Adults and Children:
Routes other than IM: see literature. <3yrs: not recommended. ≥3yrs: acute iron toxicity: 1g IM initially followed by 500mg every 4 hours for 2 doses; repeat every 4–12 hours if needed; max 6g/day. Chronic iron overload: see literature.
Severe renal disease. Anuria.
Ocular or auditory disturbances. Perform visual acuity tests, slit-lamp exams, funduscopy and audiometry with prolonged therapy. High doses in patients with low ferritin levels may retard growth. Acute respiratory distress syndrome with high IV doses. Flushing, urticaria, hypotension, and shock if given rapid IV. Monitor changes in renal function. Discoloration of urine. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Iron chelating agent.
Possible impairment of cardiac function with concomitant high dose Vit. C; give max adult dose: 200mg in divided doses. May cause temporary impairment of consciousness with prochlorperazine.
Localized skin reactions, hypersensitivity, tachycardia, hypotension, shock, dysuria, leg cramps, fever, GI upset; increased serum creatinine, acute renal failure, renal tubular disorder; rare: Yersinia infections, mucormycosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib Combination Receives FDA Approval for Mutation-Positive Melanoma
- Certain Risk Factors May Decrease Overall Survival in Pediatric B-NHL
- Oral Contraceptive Use May Not Be Associated With Increased Melanoma Risk
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|