Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 400mg; del-rel caps.
Indications for DELZICOL:
Mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis (UC) in patients ≥5 years of age. Maintenance of remission of UC in adults.
Swallow caps whole; if unable to swallow, may open and swallow contents (four 100mg tabs). Treatment: 800mg 3 times daily for 6 weeks. Maintenance: 1.6g/day in 2–4 divided doses. Two Delzicol 400mg caps are not bioequivalent to one mesalamine 800mg del-rel tab.
<5yrs: not established. Give twice daily dosing for 6 weeks. ≥5yrs (17–32kg): 36–71mg/kg/day, up to max 1.2g/day (800mg in the AM + 400mg in the afternoon); (33–53kg): 37–61mg/kg/day, up to max 2g/day (1200mg in the AM + 800mg in the afternoon); (54–90kg): 27–44mg/kg/day, up to max 2.4g/day (1200mg in the AM + 1200mg in the afternoon).
Monitor renal function before and during therapy. History of renal disease. Monitor for mesalamine-induced acute intolerance syndrome; discontinue if suspected. Sulfasalazine allergy. Pre-existing liver disease. Upper GI tract obstruction. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly (monitor CBCs). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of renal reactions with nephrotoxic agents (eg, NSAIDs). Increased risk of blood disorders with azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine.
Eructation, abdominal pain, constipation, dizziness, rhinitis, back pain, rash, dyspepsia, flu syndrome; acute intolerance syndrome, hypersensitivity reactions (including myocarditis, pericarditis, pneumonitis, hematologic abnormalities, others). Pediatrics: also, nasopharyngitis, headache, sinusitis, cough, diarrhea, fatigue, pyrexia, increased lipase.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|