Generic Name and Formulations:
Dantrolene sodium 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; caps.
Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for DANTRIUM:
Chronic spasticity due to upper motor neuron disorders (eg, spinal cord injury, stroke, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis).
Use lowest effective dose. 25mg once daily for 7 days, then 25mg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 50mg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 100mg 3 times daily; max 100mg 4 times daily.
<5yrs: not established. ≥5yrs: Use lowest effective dose. 0.5mg/kg once daily for 7 days, then 0.5mg/kg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 1mg/kg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 2mg/kg 3 times daily; max 100mg 4 times daily.
Active hepatic disease. Spasticity utilization to sustain upright posture/balance in locomotion or to obtain increased function.
Risk of hepatotoxicity (esp. females or patients >35 years, or concomitant other drugs); monitor liver function at baseline and during therapy; discontinue if hepatitis or liver abnormalities develop. History of liver disease. Pulmonary dysfunction. Severely impaired cardiac function. Discontinue if no improvement after 45 days of treatment. Avoid exposure to sunlight. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Muscle relaxant (local).
Estrogens may increase risk of hepatotoxicity. Potentiates CNS depressants (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers). Avoid concurrent verapamil (cardiovascular collapse). May potentiate vecuronium.
Drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, fatigue, diarrhea, urinary changes, tachycardia, seizures, depression; hepatotoxicity, hepatitis, photosensitivity, pleural effusion with associated eosinophilia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|