Generic Name and Formulations:
Cysteamine bitartrate 50mg, 150mg; caps.
Indications for CYSTAGON:
Management of nephropathic cystinosis.
New patients: start on ¼ to ⅙ of the maintenance dose; increase gradually over 4–6 weeks. Maintenance: >12yrs and >110lbs: 2g/day divided 4 times daily. Max 1.95g/m2/day. Goal of therapy to keep leukocyte cystine levels below 1nmol/½ cystine/mg protein 5–6 hours after administration. Patients taking cysteamine HCl or phosphocysteamine solutions may be transferred to equimolar doses of cysteamine bitartrate.
1.3g/m2/day in 4 divided doses. Max 1.95g/m2/day. If <6yrs old: do not give intact caps; may open and sprinkle capsule contents over food.
Withhold dose if skin rash develops, may be restarted at a lower dose then titrated slowly; if severe, do not readminister. Monitor blood counts, LFTs, vision, skin, bones. Measure leukocyte cystine levels every 3 months, more frequently when transferring from cysteamine HCl or phosphocysteamine solutions. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Vomiting, anorexia, fever, diarrhea, lethargy, rash; skin or bone lesions (reduce dose if appears), leukopenia, abnormal LFTs, CNS effects, GI ulceration/bleeding, pseudotumor cerebri, papilledema; rare: interstitial nephritis with early renal failure.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Obesity, Male Gender May Improve Survival Outcomes with Targeted and Immunotherapy in Melanoma
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Apalutamide Prolongs Time to Metastasis in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|