Cyanocobalamin injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyanocobalamin 1000mcg/mL; soln for IM or SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cyanocobalamin injection:
Vit. B12 deficiencies due to malabsorption. Pernicious anemia. Vit. B12 absorption test (Schilling test).
Give by IM or deep SC inj. Pernicious anemia: 100mcg daily for 6–7 days; then 100mcg every other day for 7 doses; then every 3–4 days for 2–3 weeks; then 100mcg monthly for life. Deficiencies due to malabsorption: if severe, may need to treat like pernicious anemia; use oral preparations for chronic treatment. Schilling test: 1000mcg.
Sensitivity to cobalt.
Hereditary optic nerve atrophy (Leber's disease). Severe megaloblastic anemia (intense treatment may lead to hypokalemia and death). Monitor potassium for first 48 hours; replace if needed. Obtain hematocrit, reticulocyte count, Vit. B12, folate, and iron levels before and during treatment. Reevaluate periodically. Premature infants. Renal impairment (possible aluminum toxicity). Folic acid use may mask B12 deficiency. Pregnancy (Cat. C).
Antibiotics, methotrexate, pyrimethamine interfere with Vit. B12 diagnostic tests. Colchicine, para-aminosalicylic acid, heavy alcohol intake for >2 weeks may produce malabsorption of Vit. B12.
Pulmonary edema, CHF, vascular thrombosis, polycythemia vera, transient diarrhea, itching, transitory exanthema; anaphylactic shock (may be fatal; do test dose if hypersensitivity suspected).
Formerly known under the brand names Berubigen, Cobavite, Rubivite, Rubramin PC, Vi-twel.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Qualitative Analysis of Myeloma Patients' Experience Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Involved-Field Radiotherapy Plus Chemotherapy Prolonged PFS in Follicular Lymphoma
- Patient Fears of Placebo Use in Clinical Trials
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- Two Programs, One Goal: Meeting the Challenges of Oncology Navigation
- Navigating Patients with Hematologic Malignancies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|