Generic Name and Formulations:
Entacapone 200mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for COMTAN:
Adjunct to levodopa/ carbidopa in patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease and end-of-dose wearing off.
200mg with each dose of levodopa/carbidopa, up to 8 times daily.
Dyskinesias. Pre-existing somnolence or sleep disorders. Major psychotic disorder: not recommended. Impulse control disorders; consider dose reduction or discontinue if occurs. Perform skin exams to monitor for melanoma. Discontinue if prolonged diarrhea suspected. Hepatic impairment. Biliary obstruction. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Nonselective MAOIs: not recommended. Consider reducing levodopa dose. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Chelates iron. Cardiac effects with drugs metabolized by COMT (eg, epinephrine, isoproterenol, norepinephrine, dopamine, dobutamine, methyldopa, apomorphine, isoetherine, bitolterol). Caution with drugs that interfere with biliary excretion, glucuronidation, intestinal beta-glucuronidase (eg, probenecid, cholestyramine, erythromycin, rifampicin, ampicillin, chloramphenicol). Monitor INR with warfarin. Reduced efficacy with some antipsychotics.
Dyskinesia, nausea, urine discoloration, hyperkinesia, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, dry mouth, back pain, dyspnea, somnolence, anxiety, sweating, purpura, asthenia, taste perversion; rarely: orthostatic hypotension, syncope, hallucinations, rhabdomyolysis, hyperpyrexia and confusion upon withdrawal.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|