Generic Name and Formulations:
Colestipol HCl 5g/pkt or scoop; granules; orange flavored (contains aspartame, phenylalanine) or unflavored.
Indications for COLESTID:
Adjunct to diet to lower elevated serum total-C and LDL-C in primary hypercholesterolemia.
5g–30g daily once or in divided doses mixed with liquid.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. Consider reducing dose, discontinuing, or alternative therapy if significant increase in triglycerides occur. May need Vit. A, D and K supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (eg, hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Constipation; increase fluid/fiber intake or add a stool softener. Hemorrhoids. Phenylketonurics (flavored Colestid). Monitor thyroid function. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Reduces absorption of folic acid, fat soluble vitamins, thiazides, furosemide, tetracycline, penicillin G, gemfibrozil, mycophenolic acid, others; monitor digitalis, propranolol; give other drugs at least 1hr before or 4hrs after. May affect absorption of oral phosphate supplements, hydrocortisone.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravated hemorrhoids, abdominal pain/cramp, gas, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, Vit. A, D, K deficiencies or hyperchloremic acidosis with prolonged use.
Unflavored 5g pkt—30, 90; Bulk—300g, 500g (w. scoop); Flavored 7.5g pkt—60; Bulk—450g (w. scoop); Tabs—120
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|