Cholestyramine Light Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cholestyramine resin (as Cl) 4g; per 5g packet or scoop; contains phenylalanine.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cholestyramine Light:
Hypercholesterolemia alone or with hypertriglyceridemia resistant to dietary management. Reduction in risk of coronary heart disease. Pruritus due to partial biliary obstruction.
Initially 1 packet or scoop mixed with fluid or food 1–2 times daily. Maintenance: 2–4 packets or scoops divided into 2 doses; max 6 packets or scoops daily. Increase at 4 week intervals.
See full labeling.
Complete biliary obstruction.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. May need Vit. A, D, K, and folic acid supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (e.g., hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Favorable trend in cholesterol reduction usually occurs within 1 month; continue therapy to sustain reduction. Phenylketonuria (Light formulation). Constipation. Hemorrhoids. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Inhibits absorption of phenylbutazone, warfarin, chlorothiazide, propranolol, tetracycline, penicillin G, phenobarbital, thyroid drugs, digitalis, many others; give other drugs 1–2 hours before or 4–6 hours after. Additive effects with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, nicotinic acid.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravation of hemorrhoids, GI disturbances, osteoporosis, Vit. A, D, K, or folic acid deficiencies, increased bleeding, hyperchloremic acidosis, rash, oral or anal irritation.
Formerly known under the brand name Questran Light.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|