Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefuroxime (as axetil) 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Indications for CEFTIN:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, bronchitis, acute otitis media; uncomplicated skin and skin structure, UTIs, gonorrhea; early Lyme disease.
≥13yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis, sinusitis: 250mg twice daily for 10 days. Acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, skin and skin structure infections: 250–500mg twice daily for 10 days. Secondary bacterial infections of acute bronchitis: 250–500mg twice daily for 5–10 days. UTIs: 250mg twice daily for 7–10 days. Gonorrhea: 1g as a single dose. Lyme disease: 500mg twice daily for 20 days.
Swallow tab whole, or use susp. Otitis media, sinusitis: 250mg twice daily for 10 days.
Tabs and susp not bioequivalent; do not interchange on a mg/mg basis. Penicillin or other allergy. History of colitis; discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Renal impairment. Monitor prothrombin time in renal or hepatic dysfunction, stabilized on anticoagulant, poor nutritional state, or long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: consider discontinuing nursing during treatment.
May cause false (+) Fehling's or Benedict's soln, Clinitest, or Coomb's test. Antacids, others that decrease gastric acidity may inhibit absorption. Potentiated by probenecid. Caution with potent diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs.
GI disturbances, transient increase of AST, ALT, LDH, eosinophilia, bitter taste; convulsions (overdose).
Tabs—20, 60; Susp 125mg/5mL—100mL; Susp 250mg/5mL—50mL, 100mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|