Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefprozil 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefprozil:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections, including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, secondary bacterial infection of acute bronchitis, acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, acute sinusitis, skin and skin structure, otitis media.
≥13yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 500mg every 24hrs. Acute sinusitis: 250mg (mild) or 500mg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Bronchitis: 500mg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: 250mg every 12hrs or 500mg every 12–24hrs. All: for 10 days. CrCl<30mL/min: 50% of standard dose.
Otitis media: <6 months: not recommended; 6 months to 12yrs: 15mg/kg every 12hrs. Acute sinusitis: <6 months: not recommended; 6months to 12yrs: 7.5mg/kg (mild) or 15mg/kg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 7.5mg/kg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 20mg/kg every 24hrs. All: for 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment, reduce dose. Monitor renal function. GI disease (esp. colitis). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs, including aminoglycosides. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest.
GI upset, elevated liver enzymes, dizziness.
Formerly known under the brand name Cefzil.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|