CALAN SR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Verapamil HCl 120mg, 180mg+, 240mg+; sust-rel caplets; +scored.
Indications for CALAN SR:
Take with food. Initially 180mg in the AM; may titrate to max 480mg/day in divided doses. Elderly or small patients: initially 120mg in the AM.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Severe left ventricular (LV) dysfunction or LV dysfunction treated with β-blockers. Moderate to severe heart failure. Hypotension. Cardiogenic shock. Sick sinus syndrome, 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block, unless paced. Atrial flutter or fibrillation and an accessory bypass tract.
Control mild heart failure (eg, with digitalis, diuretics). AV conduction or neuromuscular transmission disorders. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Monitor liver function. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (diphenylalkylamine).
Potentiates alcohol, β-blockers, other antihypertensives, digitalis, theophylline, neuromuscular blockers, flecainide, carbamazepine, cyclosporine, lovastatin (limit to max 40mg/day), simvastatin (limit to max 10mg/day), atorvastatin (use lower doses). Potentiated by grapefruit juice. Avoid ivabradine, disopyramide; quinidine in cardiomyopathy. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, ritonavir); antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, phenobarbital, rifampin). Inhalation anesthetics may potentiate cardiac depression. May increase bleeding with aspirin. Monitor theophylline, lithium. Concomitant mTOR inhibitors (eg, sirolimus, temsirolimus, everolimus); consider dose reductions of both drugs. Monitor heart rate with concomitant clonidine.
Constipation, dizziness, nausea, hypotension, headache, edema, CHF, fatigue, dyspnea, bradycardia, AV block, rash, flushing, elevated hepatic enzymes, paralytic ileus.
Calan 40mg—100; 80mg—100, 500, 1000; 120mg—100, 1000; SR 120mg, 180mg—100; SR 240mg—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib Combination Receives FDA Approval for Mutation-Positive Melanoma
- Certain Risk Factors May Decrease Overall Survival in Pediatric B-NHL
- Oral Contraceptive Use May Not Be Associated With Increased Melanoma Risk
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- Patient Interest in Melanoma Genetic Risk Testing is Fairly High
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Bleeding Disorder Treatments: Hemophilia A
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|