Butorphanol Nasal Spray CIV
Generic Name and Formulations:
Butorphanol tartrate 1mg/spray; nasal spray.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Butorphanol Nasal Spray:
Pain management when opioid analgesia is appropriate.
≥18 years: initially 1 spray in 1 nostril, repeat after 60–90 minutes if needed (Elderly: 90–120 minutes); may repeat in 3–4 hours. Or, may give 1 spray in each nostril, may repeat after 3–4 hours.
<18 years: not recommended.
Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Biliary tract surgery. Respiratory, cardiac, renal, or hepatic dysfunction. MI. Ventricular dysfunction. Coronary insufficiency. Hypertension. May precipitate withdrawal in narcotic addicts. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Nasal vasoconstrictors delay onset. May be antagonized by concomitant (within 30 minutes) sumatriptan nasal spray.
Sedation, dizziness, nasal congestion, insomnia, GI upset, respiratory depression, sweating, hypo- or hypertension, rash, vasodilation, palpitation, tinnitus, respiratory and CNS effects.
Formerly known under the brand name Stadol NS.
Nasal Spray 2.5mL (8–15 sprays)—Contact supplier.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|