BUPHENYL TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium phenylbutyrate 500mg; contains sodium 62mg/tab.
Indications for BUPHENYL TABLETS:
Adjunct in the chronic management of urea cycle disorders involving deficiencies of carbamylphosphate synthetase, ornithine transcarbamylase, or argininosuccinic acid synthetase, including neonatal-onset deficiency and late-onset disease with a history of hyperammonemic encephalopathy.
Adults and Children:
<20kg: use powder. Take in equally divided doses with each meal or feeding. Mix powder with food or liquid. <20kg: 450–600mg/kg/day. ≥20kg: 9.9–13g/m2/day. Max 20g/day.
Restrict dietary protein, may need to supplement with essential amino acids. CHF. Sodium retention with edema. Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Inborn errors of beta oxidation. Monitor serum levels of phenylbutyrate and metabolites, phenylacetate and phenylacetylglutamine. Plasma levels of ammonia, arginine, branched-chain amino acids, serum proteins: maintain within normal levels; plasma glutamine: maintain at <1000μmol/L. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by probenecid. Corticosteroids may increase plasma ammonia levels. Hyperammonemia possible with haloperidol and valproic acid.
Amenorrhea/menstrual dysfunction, acidosis, hypoalbuminemia, anemia, alkalosis, hyperchloremia, hypophosphatemia, increased alkaline phosphatase, increased liver transaminases, leukopenia, leukocytosis, decreased appetite, body odor, bad taste, taste aversion, others.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|