1. In a review of children who presented to a specialist hematology clinic with isolated mild or moderate low platelet counts, though causes were variable, most required no interventions. 2. Pediatric patients with isolated mild or moderate thrombocytopenia may not need specialist referral to hematology in most circumstances. Evidence Rating Level: 2 (Good) Study Rundown: 
1. Patients diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) and followed for multiple decades showed shorter overall survival rates compared to matched controls. 2. Risk of progression to multiple myeloma or another blood cell disorder was associated with identified adverse risk factors. Evidence Rating: 1 (Excellent) Study Rundown: MGUS is a relatively common condition 
Indications for vemurafenib are expanded to include BRAF V600 mutation-positive Erdheim-Chester disease, an extremely rare non-Langerhans cell histiocytosis. FDA approval is based on results from the phase 2 VE-BASKET study.
An effective nurse navigator approach involves removing barriers to good care, such as differences in health care delivery systems, poor communication, and financial impediments.
BRAF other MAPK pathway gene mutations associated with Erdheim-Chester disease reveal that ECD is a neoplastic disease.
Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HCT) is found to increase expression of a genetic code used to make proteins, leading to a biological aging of immune cells equivalent to 30 years of chronological age.
Repeat doses of ipilimumab can restore a complete remission in patients with advanced blood cancers who relapse after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant (alloHSCT).
Chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell therapy is now moving toward effectiveness against solid tumors, based on recent work in mouse models. CAR T cell therapy has already had successes against aggressive blood cancers.
Incidence of frailty among young survivors of bone marrow transplant is similar to that of the elderly population, and increases the risk of death compared with nonfrail survivors.
How is loratadine used to treat bone pain in patients receiving white blood cell growth factors?
Survey Shows Clinician Opinions on Timing of End-of-life Discussions for Patients With Blood CancersJanuary 04, 2016
In a survey on end-of-life (EOL) discussions, hematologic oncologists reported that these discussions with patients who have blood cancers occur too late, according to a recent report.
Overall survival rates for Medicare beneficiaries with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) showed little difference related to disease-related costs, according to data presented at the 2015 ASH Annual Meeting in Florida.
Inherited Gene Variation Linked to an Increased Risk of Pediatric Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)November 11, 2015
Researchers studying two generations of a family affected by pediatric ALL identified an inherited variation in the ETV6 gene that is associated with an increased risk of developing the disease.
High-Dose Chemo and Stem Cell Transplantation Results in Long-Term Survival for Patients With AmyloidosisOctober 27, 2015
Patients with light-chain amyloidosis who are treated with high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation have the greatest success for long-term survival.
Implementing proactive telephone support reduced unplanned hospitalizations among patients with blood cancers by 70%.
Recent results from a clinical trial show that ibrutinib (Imbruvica) continued to control Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia.
DT2219, a new bispecific ligand-directed diphtheria toxin, was found to be effective in a small group of patients with relapsed/refractory B-cell malignancies, according to clinical trial results.
A recent analysis suggests that breakthrough therapies for blood cancers may, in a majority of cases, provide reasonable value for money spent.
A new test can assist in the treatment of patients with graft-versus-host disease (GVHD), an often life-threatening complication of bone marrow and stem cell transplants.
Almost half of patients with blood cancer who had relapsed following allogeneic stem cell transplantation benefitted from treatment with the immune checkpoint blocker ipilimumab.
A short course of cyclophosphamide can not only prevent a life-threatening immune response in some bone marrow transplant recipients, but also can eliminate need for the typical 6-month round of immune suppression medicines.
Zydelig (idelalisib) has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat relapsed forms of blood cancer, but label warns drug may be toxic to the liver.
Scientists have developed a test which accurately predicts the prognosis for patients with the most common form of leukemia.
AG-221, a novel inhibitor of isocitrate dehydrogenase 2-mutant metabolic enzyme, showed early promise in patients with advanced and refractory blood cancers harboring IDH2 mutations.
Patients with a variety of hematologic cancers benefited from treatment with OTX015, a member of a new class of investigational epigenetic therapies that block the activity of bromodomain and extraterminal (BET)-bromodomain proteins.
A team of scientists looking into the interplay of the immune system and cancer have found a link between a having a history of airborne allergies with risk of blood cancers in women.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Qualitative Analysis of Myeloma Patients' Experience Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Involved-Field Radiotherapy Plus Chemotherapy Prolonged PFS in Follicular Lymphoma
- Patient Fears of Placebo Use in Clinical Trials
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|