Few black women aged 50 years or younger eligible for genetic testing for breast cancer had been referred for such testing or genetic counseling.
A breast cancer risk model for African-American women underpredicted individual risk and risk of estrogen receptor (ER)-negative disease.
Delays between a breast cancer diagnosis and treatment increase the risk of death for women with late-stage cancers, according to a recently published study. A second study found that the median wait time between diagnosis and treatment has grown longer.
Black women have the highest death rate from breast cancer of all racial and ethnic groups, and are 40% more likely to die of the disease than are white women, according to a new report from the CDC.
Among patients with renal cell carcinoma, whites consistently have a survival advantage over blacks, regardless of patient or tumor characteristics or surgical treatment. These findings suggest the need for additional efforts to prolong the survival of all patients with kidney cancer.
Many persons who receive chemotherapy for incurable cancers may not understand that the treatment is unlikely to be curative.
Increased risk for breast cancer death among black women is greatest during early postdiagnosis yearsNovember 13, 2012
Non-Hispanic black women with breast cancer, specifically estrogen-positive tumors, are at a significantly increased risk for breast cancer death compared with non-Hispanic white women. The difference is greatest in the first 3 years after diagnosis.
Racial disparities in the quality of communication between physicians and patients were further confirmed by a study comparing how physicians discuss clinical trials during clinical interactions with black patients versus white patients.
Among patients with colorectal cancer, 29% in a nationally representative sample were diagnosed after an emergency, such as an obstruction or perforation of the bowel.
The mailing of fecal occult blood test (FOBT) kits boosted colorectal cancer screening rates in a low-income, racially diverse patient population.
In this second installment on disparate populations, the author focuses on the challenges to providing oncologic care to the black community.
Overall survival rates have improved for men with prostate cancer following the introduction of PSA screening, particularly for African Americans.
A large UK study found a wide variation between cancer types in patients who had visited their general practitioner 3 or more times before cancer diagnosis.
Prognosis for patients with esophageal cancer is poor. Care options focus on minimizing discomfort and maintaining nutritional status.
One-third of outpatients with breast, prostate, colon/rectum, or lung cancer were receiving insufficient pain treatment, particularly minorities.
Researchers found that a gene mutation prevents tyrosine kinase inhibitors from working in some East Asian cancer patients, and can correct this.
Concerted efforts to prevent or detect colorectal cancer at earlier stages in black patients could improve the worsening black-white disparities uncovered in a recent analysis.
Cancer incidence rates in men declined by 0.6% per year and remained stable in women and cancer mortality fell by 1.8% per year for men and by 1.6% per year for women between 2004 and 2008.
Continued skin surveillance is important for survivors of cutaneous melanoma (CM), indicate findings showing that this is the most common second primary cancer among persons with a first CM.
A high intake of calcium may cause prostate cancer in African American men who carry a gene that increases intestinal absorption of the mineral, indicates a recent study.
Blacks have a disproportionately higher cancer burden than other races, according to a study published in Hormones and Cancer (2010;1(1):55-62).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|