BICILLIN L-A Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Penicillin G benzathine 600,000 units/mL; susp for deep IM inj; contains parabens.
Indications for BICILLIN L-A:
Susceptible infections, including mild to moderate upper respiratory strep infections, syphilis. Follow-up prophylaxis of rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep: 1.2 million units once. Syphilis (primary, secondary, latent): 2.4 million units once; (tertiary and neurosyphilis): 2.4 million units every 7 days for 3 doses. Rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis: 1.2 million units once per month, or 600,000 units every 2 weeks.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock or midlateral thigh; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep (<60 lbs): 300,000 to 600,000 units once; (>60 lbs): 900,000 units once. Congenital syphilis (<2yrs): 50,000 units/kg once; (≥2yrs): individualize.
Avoid intraarterial, intravascular, or intraneural injection.
Not for IV use. Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Monitor renal and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest.
Rash, serum sickness, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, neuropathy, nephropathy, inj site reactions.
Tubex 600,000 or 1.2 million units/syr (1 mL, 2 mL)—10 (w. 1 or 1.25 inch needles); Disposable syringe 2.4million units/syr (4 mL)—10 (w. 2 inch needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|