Generic Name and Formulations:
Benztropine mesylate 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Benztropine:
Adjunct in Parkinsonism, drug-induced extrapyramidal disorders.
Parkinsonism: initially 0.5–1mg at bedtime. May increase by 0.5mg at 5–6 day intervals; max 6mg daily. Extrapyramidal disorders: 1–4mg 1–2 times daily. Acute dystonic reactions: 1–2mg IM or IV.
See Contraindications. Use cautiously in older children.
Children <3yrs old.
Tardive dyskinesia: not recommended. Narrow-angle glaucoma. Tachycardia. Psychosis. Prostatic hypertrophy. GI or GU obstruction. Chronically ill. Alcoholics. CNS disease. Exposure to extreme heat. Elderly. Pregnancy.
Paralytic ileus, hyperthermia, heat stroke with phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants. Antagonizes psychotropics.
Anticholinergic and antihistaminic effects, weakness, confusion, anhidrosis, excitement, GI upset, depression, lethargy, heat stroke, dysuria, toxic psychosis, rash.
Tabs formerly known under the brand name Cogentin.
Tabs—contact supplier; Amps—(5 x 2mL)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|