Generic Name and Formulations:
Interferon beta-1a 30mcg per prefilled syringe (albumin-free liq) or per vial [pwd for reconstitution (preservative-free, contains albumin)]; or per prefilled autoinjector (albumin-free liq); for IM inj.
Indications for AVONEX:
Treatment of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis to slow the accumulation of physical disability and decrease the frequency of clinical exacerbations in patients with first clinical episode and MRI consistent with MS.
Pre-medicate with analgesics and/or antipyretics on treatment days to ameliorate flu-like symptoms. Rotate inj sites. ≥18yrs: 30mcg IM once weekly. May titrate dose to reduce severity of flu-like symptoms; dosed once weekly, IM: Week 1: 7.5mcg. Week 2: 15mcg. Week 3: 22.5mcg. Week 4: 30mcg.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Seizure disorders. Pre-existing CHF: monitor for worsening cardiac function at initiation and during treatment. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy; discontinue if occurs. Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs, differential, platelets, blood chemistries, liver and thyroid function. Consider discontinuing if new autoimmune disorder develops. Pregnancy (Cat.C; may be abortifacient). Nursing mothers.
Risk of hepatic injury with concomitant hepatotoxic drugs or alcohol.
Flu-like symptoms, asthenia, headache, myalgia, fever, chills, GI upset, depression, blood dyscrasias, seizures; rare: hepatic injury, anaphylaxis (discontinue if occurs).
Register pregnant patients exposed to Avonex by calling (800) 456-2255.
Single-use prefilled syringes (0.5mL) dose pack—1 (4 syringes, supplies); Single-use vial dose pack—1 (4 vials, diluent, supplies); Single-use prefilled autoinjector (0.5mL) dose pack—1 (4 autoinjectors, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|