Generic Name and Formulations:
Risedronate (as sodium) 35mg; delayed-release tabs.
Indications for ATELVIA:
Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Limitations Of use:
Optimal duration of use has not been determined. For patients at low-risk for fracture, consider drug discontinuation after 3–5yrs.
Swallow whole; take in the AM with a full glass (4oz) plain (not mineral) water immediately after breakfast; take in upright position; do not lie down for at least 30min afterwards. 35mg once weekly.
Esophagus abnormalities which delay esophageal emptying (eg, stricture, achalasia). Inability to stand or sit upright for at least 30min. Hypocalcemia.
Active upper GI disease; discontinue and reevaluate if signs/symptoms of esophageal reaction occur. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Correct preexisting hypocalcemia, other mineral or bone disturbances before starting. Ensure adequate Vit. D and calcium intake. Risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw; consider discontinuing therapy during invasive dental procedures (eg, tooth extraction, implants, surgery). History of bisphosphonate exposure: evaluate for atypical fractures if thigh/groin pain develops; consider withholding therapy until risk/benefit assessment. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant H2-blockers, PPIs, or other risedronate-containing products (eg, Actonel): not recommended. Calcium or magnesium-based supplements, antacids, laxatives, or iron preparations reduce absorption (separate dosing). Caution with aspirin, NSAIDs, other GI irritants. May interfere with bone-imaging agents.
Diarrhea, influenza, arthralgia, back pain, abdominal pain; atypical femur fractures, esophageal reactions, hypocalcemia; rare: jaw osteonecrosis, hypersensitivity (eg, angioedema, Stevens-Johnson), eye inflammation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Oral Contraceptive Use May Not Be Associated With Increased Melanoma Risk
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Staff Education Leads to Increase in Oncology Rehabilitation Referrals
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Gender Bias in Medicine Has Far-Reaching Consequences
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- Patient Interest in Melanoma Genetic Risk Testing is Fairly High
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|