Generic Name and Formulations:
Disulfiram 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Indications for ANTABUSE:
Adjunct in management of chronic alcoholic patients who want to remain sober.
Abstain for at least 12 hrs. Initially 500mg once daily for 1–2 weeks then 250mg once daily; max 500mg daily. Continue until patient develops basis for self-control.
Severe cardiovascular disease. Psychosis. Allergy to thiuram in pesticides and rubber. Concomitant metronidazole, paraldehyde, alcohol-containing products.
Never administer when in a state of alcohol intoxication. Advise family members of alcohol effect. Diabetes. Hypothyroidism. Epilepsy. Cerebral damage. Nephritis. Hepatic cirrhosis or insufficiency. Ethylene dibromide inhalation. Monitor hepatic function, electrolytes, blood, CBCs. Alcohol trial in patients >50yrs: not recommended. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Alcohol-like reaction to metronidazole, paraldehyde, alcohol-containing drugs and elixirs, some so-called alcohol-free beverages, tonics, foods, aftershave, back rubs. Potentiates phenytoin, oral anticoagulants, isoniazid.
Optic, peripheral and polyneuritis; peripheral neuropathy, drowsiness, rash, psychosis, hepatitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Adhering to Cytoreductive Therapy Use May Improve Outcomes in Polycythemia Vera
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- Alternate Dosing of Ruxolitinib May Alleviate Anemia in Myelofibrosis
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Oral Hydration Effectively Reduced Risk of Nephrotoxity After Cisplatin
- Young Survivors of Breast Cancer Report Sexual Quality of Life Declines After Treatment
- The Efficacy and Tolerance of High Pressure Oxygen Combined With Chemotherapy in Postoperative Patients With Advanced Gastric Cancer
- Hepatocellular Cancer Pain: Impact and Management Challenges
- Serum Albumin May Indicate Prognosis for Survival in Acute Myeloblastic Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|