Generic Name and Formulations:
Disulfiram 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Indications for ANTABUSE:
Adjunct in management of chronic alcoholic patients who want to remain sober.
Abstain for at least 12 hrs. Initially 500mg once daily for 1–2 weeks then 250mg once daily; max 500mg daily. Continue until patient develops basis for self-control.
Severe cardiovascular disease. Psychosis. Allergy to thiuram in pesticides and rubber. Concomitant metronidazole, paraldehyde, alcohol-containing products.
Never administer when in a state of alcohol intoxication. Advise family members of alcohol effect. Diabetes. Hypothyroidism. Epilepsy. Cerebral damage. Nephritis. Hepatic cirrhosis or insufficiency. Ethylene dibromide inhalation. Monitor hepatic function, electrolytes, blood, CBCs. Alcohol trial in patients >50yrs: not recommended. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Alcohol-like reaction to metronidazole, paraldehyde, alcohol-containing drugs and elixirs, some so-called alcohol-free beverages, tonics, foods, aftershave, back rubs. Potentiates phenytoin, oral anticoagulants, isoniazid.
Optic, peripheral and polyneuritis; peripheral neuropathy, drowsiness, rash, psychosis, hepatitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|