Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxymetholone 50mg; scored tabs.
Indications for ANADROL-50:
Anemia caused by deficient red cell production. Acquired aplastic anemia, congenital anemia, myelofibrosis, and hypoplastic anemias due to myelotoxic drugs.
Adults and Children:
Individualized. 1–5mg/kg per day for at least 3–6 months; may attempt to lower dose or discontinue after remission. Congenital aplastic anemia: may need continued maintenance dose.
Male breast or prostate carcinoma. Breast cancer in females with hypercalcemia. Nephrosis or the nephrotic phase of nephritis. Severe hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Peliosis hepatitis. Liver cell tumors. Increased risk of atherosclerosis due to blood lipid changes (eg, decreased HDL, increased LDL).
Not a replacement for other supportive treatments (eg, transfusion; iron, folic acid, Vit. B12, Vit. B6 replacement). Discontinue if jaundice, abnormal liver function, hypercalcemia, or edema occurs. Cardiac, hepatic, or renal dysfunction. Monitor hepatic function, blood, and bone age. Elderly. Young children. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate oral anticoagulants. May alter insulin or oral antihyperglycemic needs.
Peliosis hepatis, premature epiphyseal closure in adolescents, edema, hepatic carcinoma, prostatic hypertrophy or carcinoma, gynecomastia, priapism, oligospermia, nausea, jaundice, hirsutism, virilization, male pattern baldness, acne, polycythemia, headache, CNS excitation, insomnia, altered libido, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, suppression of clotting factors, increased serum cholesterol.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|