Ampicillin sodium Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 125mg, 250mg, 500mg, 1g, 2g, 10g; per vial; pwd for IV or IM inj after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ampicillin sodium Injection:
Adults and Children:
Give IV inj slowly over at least 10–15 minutes; rapid IV administration may result in convulsive seizures. Respiratory tract and soft tissue infections: <40kg: 25–50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 250–500mg every 6 hours. GI or GU tract infections (including N. gonorrhoeae in women): <40kg: 50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 500mg every 6 hours. Urethritis in males due to N. gonorrhoeae: two doses of 500mg each at interval of 8–12 hours. Meningitis: Initiate with IV drip, then continue IM. 150–200mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 3–4 hours. Septicimia: Initiate IV for at least 3 days, then continue IM every 3–4 hours. 150–200mg/kg per day; treat for at least 10 days if caused by Group A β-hemolytic streptococci.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, other allergy or mononucleosis: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and liver function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. May increase risk of rash with allopurinol.
Anaphylaxis, urticaria, GI upset, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Principen, Totacillin, Pfizerpen-A, Penbritin, Omnipen, Amcill (caps, susp); Polycillin-N, Totacillin-N, Penbritin-S, Omnipen-N (inj).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|