Alternate Medical Systems
In a randomized study, researchers sought to determine the effect of IV injections of coix seed oil, a Chinese CAM, on pain and quality of life measures for patients with advanced cancer.
A study presented at the 2018 ONS Annual Congress explored whether aromatherapy and reflexology can ease anxiety and pain for patients undergoing brachytherapy for cervical cancer.
A study from South Korea determined the prevalence and type of CAM practices lymphoma survivors used for various purposes including ease symptoms, augment treatment, boost immunity, and gain a sense of control.
Acupuncture may represent an effective adjuvant therapy in the management of joint pain associated with aromatase inhibitor treatment in postmenopausal women with breast cancer.
Evidence from previous studies for patients with ovarian and endometrial cancers has suggested that goshajinkigan may treat and prevent CIPN.
A meta-analysis of studies determined the effectiveness of acupuncture in relieving cancer-related fatigue in patients with cancer, comparing the alternative treatment with sham acupuncture, typical care, and American ginseng.
Acupuncture was found to improve cancer-related fatigue in patients with lung cancer in as little as 2 weeks, according to results of a double-blind randomized clinical study.
Approaches such as acupuncture, massage, and tai chi may ease discomfort when other therapy fails.
Acupressure reduced persistent fatigue in women who had been treated for breast cancer, improving both sleep and quality of life.
Relaxing acupressure resulted in significant improvement in persistent fatigue, sleep quality, and quality of life among survivors of breast cancer, a recent study has shown.
Improvements seen in climacteric symptoms and quality of life measures when acupuncture was employed.
This technique, which does not use pharmaceutical sedatives, can ease the perioperative discomfort and anxiety experienced by some patients undergoing fully awake craniotomy to remove glioma.
How can patients find a qualified acupuncture practitioner who understands the needs of oncology patients?
Use of therapy dogs could help encourage cancer patients to continue treatment and provide emotional comfort.
The first clinical study documenting the benefits of animal-assisted therapy in adult cancer patients has yielded evidence that therapy dogs are indeed beneficial for some cancer patients.
The Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO) and co-researchers issue a report card on complementary therapies for breast cancerNovember 17, 2014
A majority of breast cancer patients in the U.S. use complementary therapies after a breast cancer diagnosis, but there has been little science-based guidance about their safety and effectiveness.
Researchers identified the benefits of exercise therapy and electro-acupuncture in breast cancer survivors.
Electroacupuncture may reduce comorbid symptoms of pain in women with breast cancer who have aromatase inhibitor-related arthralgia, according to research.
Use of electroacupuncture produces significant improvements in fatigue, anxiety, and depression in as little as 8 weeks for patients with early stage breast cancer patients experiencing joint pain related to the use of AIs to treat breast cancer.
ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA—Appetite was improved in patients with GI cancer who received acupuncture therapy, according to a study presented at the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) 39th Annual Congress.
No significant difference in outcomes seen for patients treated with real or sham acupuncture; both groups saw improvement.
Improvements also seen in quality of life after six weeks of treatment.
The ancient Chinese medical practice can relieve the symptoms of dry mouth in patients undergoing radiotherapy, according to the largest trial yet to investigate this effect. Radiotherapy for head and neck cancer often produces this unpleasant and distressing side effect because patients' salivary glands are damaged by radiotherapy.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|