Generic Name and Formulations:
Flunisolide 80mcg/inh; metered-dose inhaler with a built-in spacer.
Indications for AEROSPAN:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy. Limitation of use: not for relief of acute bronchospasm.
Do not use with an external spacer or holding chamber devices. ≥12yrs: initially 160mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); may increase to max 320mcg twice daily. Titrate to lowest effective dose after asthma stability achieved. Rinse mouth after use.
<6yrs: not recommended. Do not use with an external spacer or holding chamber devices. 6–11yrs: initally 80mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); may increase to max 160mcg twice daily. Titrate to lowest effective doe after asthma stability achieved. Rinse mouth after use.
Primary treatment of status asthmaticus or other acute asthma episodes where intensive measures are required.
Treat oropharyngeal candidiasis if develops. Immunosuppression. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider immune globulin prophylactic therapy; consider antiviral treatment if develops. Untreated tuberculosis or systemic infections. Ocular herpes simplex. Monitor for adrenal insufficiency when transferring from systemic steroids. May need supplemental systemic corticosteroids during periods of stress or a severe asthma attack. May unmask previously suppressed allergic conditions. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occurs, discontinue gradually), growth in children, intraocular pressure, glaucoma, or cataracts. Assess bone mineral density (BMD) if risk factors exist (eg, prolonged immobilization, osteoporosis, postmenopausal, advanced age, others). Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm occurs; use alternative therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pharyngitis, rhinitis, headache, sinusitis, increased cough; infections, adrenal suppression, decreased BMD.
Inhalation aerosol—5.1g (60 inh), 8.9g (120 inh)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Obesity, Male Gender May Improve Survival Outcomes with Targeted and Immunotherapy in Melanoma
- Apalutamide Prolongs Time to Metastasis in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|