Generic Name and Formulations:
Pioglitazone (as HCl) 15mg, 30mg, 45mg; tabs.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc.
Indications for ACTOS:
Adjunct to diet and exercise in type 2 diabetes, as monotherapy or in combination with metformin, insulin, or a sulfonylurea. Limitations of use: not for treating type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
≥18yrs: Without CHF: initially 15mg or 30mg once daily; max 45mg once daily. With CHF (NYHA Class I or II): initially 15mg once daily. Concomitant insulin or sulfonylurea: reduce dose of these if needed. Concomitant strong CYP2C8 inhibitors: max 15mg daily.
<18yrs: not recommended.
NYHA Class III or IV heart failure.
Symptomatic HF: not recommended. Monitor for signs/symptoms of CHF; discontinue or reduce dose if occurs. Hepatic disease. Monitor liver function before initiating therapy; if abnormalities detected, interrupt and assess probable cause; do not restart if ALT >3XULN with total bilirubin >2XULN. Routine monitoring LFTs during therapy without liver disease: not recommended. Active bladder cancer: not recommended. Prior history of bladder cancer: consider glycemic control benefits vs. risk of cancer recurrence. Risk of fractures (esp. females). Perform regular eye exams. Resumption of premenopausal ovulation in anovulatory patients may occur (may result in unintended pregnancy). Pregnancy (Cat.C): consider using insulin instead. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by CYP2C8 inhibitors (eg, gemfibrozil). Antagonized by CYP2C8 inducers (eg, rifampin) or topiramate (monitor for adequate glycemic control). Antagonizes oral contraceptives, midazolam. Monitor for heart failure with insulin.
Upper respiratory tract infection, headache, sinusitis, pharyngitis, myalgia, edema, weight gain, hypoglycemia, dyspnea; changes in serum lipids (may be beneficial), macular edema.
Tabs—30, 90, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|