Generic Name and Formulations:
Ursodiol 300 mg; caps.
Indications for ACTIGALL:
Dissolution of radiolucent, noncalcified gallstones <20 mm in diameter in patients who refuse cholecystectomy or are at increased risk during surgery. Prevention of gallstone formation in obese patients experiencing rapid weight loss.
Dissolution: 8–10mg/kg per day in 2–3 divided doses. Prevention: 300mg twice daily.
Not for calcified, radio-opaque, or radiolucent bile pigment stones. Compelling need for cholecystectomy.
Obtain sonogram at 6 and 12 months. After complete dissolution, repeat sonogram in 1–3 months and then discontinue. Gallstones can recur. Measure SGOT (AST) and SGPT (ALT) at start, 1 and 3 months later, and then every 6 months; monitor frequently if levels increase, and discontinue if elevations persist. Pregnancy (Cat.B): not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Reduced absorption with bile acid sequestrants, aluminum-containing antacids. Estrogens, oral contraceptives, clofibrate, other lipid lowering drugs may reduce effectiveness by increasing hepatic cholesterol secretion.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Is Radioimmunotherapy a Path Forward for Melanoma?
- FDA Approves Mogamulizumab-kpkc for Rare Subtypes of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- New PDL1 Inhibitors for Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Focus on Pembrolizumab
- Intensive Chemotherapy May Not Be Effective in MDS or AML After MDS
- ASCO Endorses SIO Guideline for Integrative Therapies in Breast Cancer
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Disparities Remain in Prevalence of Cancer Screening Tests
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- 8 Hours of Bedrest May Be Ideal After Intrathecal Chemotherapy in Hematologic Cancers
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|