Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella zoster vaccine, live, attenuated; minimum of 19,400 PFU/0.65mL dose; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains porcine gelatin, neomycin and bovine serum (trace); preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZOSTAVAX:
Prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) in adults ≥50 years of age.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating zoster or postherpetic neuralgia. Not for preventing primary varicella infection.
<50yrs: not recommended. ≥50yrs: one 0.65mL dose by SC inj once in upper arm. Administer immediately upon reconstitution.
Immunodeficiency (eg, HIV, leukemia, lymphoma, bone marrow or lymphatic cancer, immunosuppressive therapy). Pregnancy (during and 3 months after vaccination).
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Consider deferral in acute illness or acute untreated tuberculosis. May not protect 100% of recipients. Virus transmission may occur between recipients and susceptible contacts. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Immunosuppressants may cause disseminated disease. Consider administration of Zostavax and Pneumovax 23 vaccines separated by ≥4 weeks. Concomitant inactivated influenza vaccines: see full labeling.
Inj site reactions (eg, erythema, pain, swelling, pruritus), headache; cardiovascular events.
To report adverse events, contact VAERS at (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|