Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethosuximide 250mg; caps.
Indications for ZARONTIN:
Initially: 500mg daily. Increase every 4–7 days by 250mg daily according to response; max 1.5g daily in divided doses.
<3yrs: not established. 3–6yrs: initially 250mg daily. >6yrs: initially 500mg daily. Increase both every 4–7 days by 250mg daily according to response; max 1.5g daily in divided doses. Usual maintenance: 20mg/kg/day in divided doses.
Impaired hepatic or renal function. May precipitate tonic-clonic seizures. Discontinue at 1st sign of rash; consider alternative therapy if signs/symptoms of Stevens-Johnson syndrome occurs. Evaluate immediately if signs/symptoms of DRESS/multi-organ hypersensitivity develop; discontinue if no alternative etiology. Monitor for depression, suicidal ideation, unusual changes in mood/behavior. Monitor CBCs, kidney and liver function periodically. Change dose gradually. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Monitor phenytoin, phenobarbital, valproic acid, other AEDs.
Blood dyscrasias, drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, headache, GI upset, CNS and psychiatric effects, rash (may be fatal), SLE, DRESS, gingival hyperplasia.
Caps, syrup (YES)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Modified XELIRI Noninferior to FOLFIRI for OS in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Nabilone Improves Cancer-Associated Anorexia in Lung Cancer
- Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Test for Select BRCA Mutations Gets FDA Nod
- Patients With Head and Neck Cancer Have Greater Chance of Being Prescribed Opioids
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|