Generic Name and Formulations:
Teniposide 10mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains benzyl alcohol, Cremophor EL (polyoxyethylated castor oil), dehydrated alcohol.
Indications for VUMON:
Refractory childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
Adults and Children:
See literature. Give as slow IV infusion (at least 30–60 minutes). Patients failing induction therapy with a cytarabine-containing regimen: 165mg/m2 + cytarabine twice weekly for 8 to 9 doses. Refractory to vincristine/prednisone-containing regimen: 250mg/m2 + vincristine weekly for 4 to 8 weeks + oral prednisone for 28 days.
Severe myelosuppression. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions following infusion; have epinephrine available. Risk of hypotension with rapid IV administration. Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor and obtain CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, platelets, renal and hepatic functions before, during, and after therapy. Down syndrome (use reduced dose). Monitor children with hypoalbuminemia. Avoid extravasation. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by tolbutamide, sodium salicylate, and sulfamethizole. Concomitant vincristine sulfate may cause neuropathy. Concomitant antiemetics in patients given high doses of teniposide may increase risk of CNS depression, hypotension.
Myelosuppression (leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), mucositis, GI upset, infection, alopecia, bleeding, rash, fever, hypotension, CNS depression, hypersensitivity reactions (may be fatal).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|