VERELAN PM Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Verapamil HCl 100mg, 200mg, 300mg; controlled-onset ext-rel caps.
Indications for VERELAN PM:
Give once daily at bedtime. May sprinkle contents on applesauce; do not crush or chew contents. Initially 200mg; may titrate upwards in steps to 300mg, then 400mg if necessary. May start at 100mg in impaired renal or hepatic function, elderly or small patients.
Severe left ventricular (LV) dysfunction or LV dysfunction treated with β-blockers. Moderate to severe heart failure. Hypotension. Cardiogenic shock. Sick sinus syndrome, 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block, unless paced. Atrial flutter or fibrillation and an accessory bypass tract.
Control mild heart failure (eg, with digitalis, diuretics). AV conduction or neuromuscular transmission disorders. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Monitor liver function. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates alcohol, β-blockers, other antihypertensives, digitalis, ivabradine (avoid), theophylline, neuromuscular blockers, flecainide, carbamazepine, cyclosporine, doxorubicin. Potentiated by grapefruit juice. Avoid disopyramide; quinidine in cardiomyopathy. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, ritonavir); antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, phenobarbital). May potentiate statins; limit simvastatin dose to 10mg/day or lovastatin to 40mg/day. May need to reduce initial and maintenance dose for other CYP3A4 substrates (eg, atorvastatin). Inhalation anesthetics may potentiate cardiac depression. May increase bleeding with aspirin. Monitor theophylline, lithium levels. Monitor heart rate when concomitant clonidine.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (diphenylalkylamine).
Hypotension, edema, AV block, bradycardia, CHF, constipation, headache, dizziness, fatigue, dyspepsia, elevated hepatic enzymes, paralytic ileus.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|