Generic Name and Formulations:
Polidocanol 1% (1.3mg/mL); foam for IV inj after activation.
Indications for VARITHENA:
Treatment of incompetent great saphenous veins (GSV), accessory saphenous veins, and visible varicosities of the great saphenous vein system above and below the knee.
See full labeling. For IV inj using ultrasound guidance, administered via a single cannula into the lumen of the target incompetent trunk veins or by direct inj into varicosities. Use up to 5mL per injection and max 15mL per treatment session. Inject foam slowly (approx. 1mL/sec in the GSV and 0.5mL/sec in accessory veins or varicosities). Repeat if necessary; separate treatment sessions by a minimum of 5 days. Apply compression bandaging and stockings and have the patient walk for at least 10mins; monitor. Maintain compression for 2 weeks post-treatment.
Acute thromboembolic disease.
Do not inject intra-arterially. Must be experienced in venous procedures. Monitor for at least 10mins post-inj for anaphylaxis; treat appropriately if occurs. Increased risk of tissue ischemia in peripheral arteriosclerosis or thromboangiitis obliterans (Buerger’s Disease). Monitor for venous thrombosis post-treatment. Increased risk of thrombosis in patients with reduced mobility, history of DVT/PE, major surgery within 3 months, prolonged hospitalization, pregnancy. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Pain/discomfort in extremity, infusion site thrombosis (retained coagulum), injection site hematoma or pain, thrombophlebitis superficial, extravasation; anaphylaxis (may be fatal).
Convenience box—1 (w. canisters, transfer units, administration boxes); Bi-canister—1; Administration pack—1 (transfer unit, components)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Intervention Improves Breast Cancer Survivors' Memory Contentment
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
- Bedside Assessment Tool Improves Worst Pain in Patients With Cancer
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- USPSTF Rates Ovarian Cancer Screening a D for Asymptomatic, Low-Risk Women
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Rate Increased by Digital Self-Ordering
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|