Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 1g, sulbactam sodium 0.5g (1.5g vial); or ampicillin sodium 2g, sulbactam sodium 1g (3g vial); IM or IV inj; sodium content 5mEq/g of ampicillin.
Indications for UNASYN:
Susceptible skin and skin structure, intraabdominal, gynecologic infections.
Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. Normal renal function (CrCl ≥30mL/min): 1.5–3g IM or IV every 6hrs; CrCl 15–29mL/min: 1.5–3g every 12hrs; CrCl 5–14mL/min: 1.5–3g every 24hrs.
Intraabdominal infections: not recommended. Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. <1yr: not recommended. ≥1yr (<40kg): 300mg/kg per day IV in equally divided doses every 6hrs; usual max 14 days. ≥40kg: as adult.
Previous history of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction. Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other β-lactam allergy.
Mononucleosis: not recommended. Discontinue if superinfection occurs or skin lesions progress. Hepatic impairment (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. Increased incidence of rash with allopurinol. May cause false (+) Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln.
Broad-spectrum penicillin + β-lactamase inhibitor.
Inj site reactions, diarrhea, rash, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, elevated liver enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs), severe skin reactions (eg, SJS, TEN, dermatitis exfoliative, erythema multiforme, AGEP).
Vials (1.5g, 3g)—1
- Neurotoxicity After CAR T-cell Therapy May Be Associated With Endothelial Activation
- Navigation Programs Most Effective in Increasing Follow-up Colonoscopy
- New Class of Clinical Trial Enhances Research on Cancer Care Delivery
- Specialized Interventions Reduce Aberrant Opioid Behaviors in Cancer Patients
- Nivolumab Provides Better Long-Term Efficacy Compared With Docetaxel in NSCLC
- Anticancer Properties of The Probiotic Kefir: A Review
- Navigating the Transition From Treatment to Breast Cancer Survivor
- Combining Radiation, Immunotherapy: An Emerging Challenge for Oncology Nursing
- Naldemedine Effective for Opioid-Induced Constipation in Cancer Pain
- Disruptions to Circadian Rhythm Linked to Prostate Cancer Surgery Regret
- Case Report of a KIT-mutated Melanoma Patient With an Excellent Response to Apatinib and Temozolomide Combination Therapy
- Novel Predictive Model More Effectively Identifies Risk for Lung Cancer
- Long-Term Eltrombopag Increases Platelet Counts, Decreases Bleeding in ITP
- Overall Survival Increase for Melanoma Brain Metastases
- Prophylactic Prochloperazine Ineffective for Opioid-induced Nausea/Vomiting in Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|