Generic Name and Formulations:
Cimetidine 300mg, 400mg; tabs.
Prestige Brands, Inc.
Indications for TAGAMET:
Active duodenal or benign gastric ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcers. Pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). GERD.
Active duodenal ulcer: 800mg at bedtime for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 400mg at bedtime. Active benign gastric ulcer: 800mg at bedtime or 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime for 6 weeks. Hypersecretory conditions: 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime; max 2.4g/day. GERD: 800mg 2 times daily or 400mg 4 times daily for max 12 weeks; see full labeling. For difficult to heal ulcers: see full labeling.
<16 yrs: not recommended; see full labeling. Doses of 20–40mg/kg per day have been used.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Elderly. Debilitated. Immunocompromised. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid antacids within 1 hour of dosing. May potentiate anticoagulants, phenytoin, theophylline, lidocaine, and others (see literature) by inhibition of hepatic microsomal enzymes. May alter absorption of drugs affected by gastric pH (e.g., ketoconazole), give 2 hours before cimetidine.
Headache, diarrhea, dizziness, somnolence, CNS disturbances, gynecomastia, rash (maybe serious eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome); rare: arthralgia, myalgia, blood dyscrasias, nephritis, increased serum transaminases, pancreatitis, bradycardia, tachycardia; increased risk of community-acquired pneumonia (see literature).
Tabs 300mg—100; 400mg—60
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|