Study results demonstrate that statins have antitumor activity in various solid-tumor cancers and leukemia; however, experts offer these caveats on using them to treat cancer — at least for now.
Statins provide no benefits, or adverse effects, in patients with lung cancer, according to a phase 3 trial.
Statins could be an effective agent for the treatment of patients with metastatic small cell lung cancer.
New guidelines released by the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the American Heart Association (AHA) would have 13 million more Americans taking the cholesterol drugs, experts say.
Statin use may slow prostate cancer progression in patients receiving androgen deprivation therapy, but more trials are needed to confirm benefits, researchers say.
The use of statins for a year before a diagnosis of lung cancer is associated with a lower risk of cancer-specific mortality, but more research is needed.
Risk reduction appears sex specific, with significant reduction seen for men, but not women.
Findings among men taking a statin alongside androgen deprivation therapy showed additional months of progression-free survival.
Low density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad cholesterol," stays the same or increases after taking statin medications.
Clinical trials on the use of statins as an anticancer drug have yielded mixed results.
Use of statins is associated with a reduced risk of progression of localized renal cell carcinoma, according to research.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Triplet Regimen Found Most Effective for Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma
- Integrating Preoperative Oral Care Into Cancer Treatment Plans
- Current Status and Dilemma of Second-line Treatment in Advanced Pancreatic Cancer: Is There a Silver Lining?
- American Association for Cancer Research Releases Its 2018 Annual Report
- Pulmonary Toxicity Increased in Pediatric Hodgkin Lymphoma Treated With Brentuximab Vedotin
- Benefit of Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Observed With Midrange Gene Assay Score
- Antioxidant Interaction With Cancer Therapy
- Young Survivors of Breast Cancer Report Sexual Quality of Life Declines After Treatment
- Myeloablative Conditioning Effective in AML Secondary to MDS/MPN Prior to Allogeneic HCT
- Insurance Status Influences Overall Survival in Follicular Lymphoma
- Endocrine Society Released Guidelines for Managing Endocrine Disorders in Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Skin Cancer Screening: Are They Effective?
- Metronidazole, Vancomycin Recommended for C Difficile in Pediatric Oncology, HSCT
- CDC: HPV Vaccination Rates on the Rise Among Adolescents
- High-Dose vs Standard-Dose Flu Vaccine in Elderly Receiving Chemotherapy
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|