A new tool may enable oncologists to deliver radiation therapy targeted to a tumor's biology and radiosensitivity, similar to how anticancer agents target specific tumor mutation-affected gene pathways.
A recent paper on the future of radiation oncology reports on the trend toward a greater role for shared decision making and patient-reported outcomes, such as the interrelated benchmarks of patient satisfaction, engagement, and treatment-plan adherence.
A growing proportion of cancer patients are elderly—creating a demographic shift with important implications for cancer care, including radiotherapy. Integrating geriatric care into oncology nursing has never been more important.
Postmastectomy pain syndrome (PMPS) is a debilitating late effect of surgery and radiation therapy for breast cancer.
Sleep patterns and habits should be a part of oncology nurses' routine patient assessment, as sleep disorders can be a significant challenge for cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy.
Nasal spray effectively relieves intense breakthrough pain associated with radiotherapy planning and treatment.
As the American College of Surgeons' Commision on Cancer milestones approach, ASTRO publishes a template to ensure consistent, comprehensive survivorship care plans can be developed for cancer survivors whose treatment involved radiotherapy.
An antiscarring paste halted the fibrosis caused by the radiation used in cancer therapy when applied to the skin of mice, according to early findings of a recent study.
Tumor Location and Duration of Therapy Influence Palliative Effects of Radiation Therapy for Painful Bone Metastases
In a review of the Dutch Bone Metastasis Study results, stratified for primary tumor location, palliative radiation therapy was found to reduce pain and improve quality of life for some patients.
Radiotherapy is the most effective single modality for local control of Hodgkin lymphoma. Involved site radiotherapy is a recent innovation intended to reduce the risk of late effects—an urgent goal, particularly for adolescent and young adult patients.
Elderly with NSCLC have lower incidence of esophagitis, can tolerate aggressive radiation therapy.
A single 8-Gy dose of radiotherapy for painful bone metastases may improve quality of life and pain as early as 10 days after administration.
Progression-free survival with panitumumab plus accelerated-fractionation radiotherapy was compared with that of cisplatin plus standard-fractionation radiotherapy in patients with locoregionally advanced HNSCC in a recently published study.
Researchers report their study findings on the safety of omitting radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery, sentinel node biopsy, and adjuvant endocrine therapy in older patients with early breast cancer and favorable histopathology at SABCS 2016.
Researchers report on the feasibility of a nurse-led sexual rehabilitation intervention to target sexual recovery and vaginal dilation in women who underwent pelvic radiation therapy and brachytherapy for gynecologic cancers.
IMRT was associated with lower rates of severe pneumonitis and cardiac doses compared with 3D-CRT in patients with locally advanced NSCLC.
Radiotherapy administered postoperatively within 1 year of radical prostatectomy was associated with worse functional outcomes compared with radiotherapy administered 1 year or more after surgery.
Side effects experienced with extremely hypofractionated treatment for intermediate-risk prostate cancer were comparable to those of conventional radiation therapy at 2 years after treatment.
Patients with early stage breast cancer who received breast-conserving surgery and were eligible for observation were more likely to undergo adjuvant radiotherapy in facilities performing APBI.
The American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Society for Radiation Oncology, and Society of Surgical Oncology have issued a joint consensus guideline update for the use of radiotherapy following mastectomy in patients with breast cancer.
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Immunotherapy and the Future of Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Pembrolizumab Active Against Rare Melanoma, Extends Survival in Bladder Cancer
- Elderly with NSCLC Can Tolerate Aggressive Radiation Therapy Treatments
- Women Treated for DCIS Have Slightly Lower Risk for All-Cause Mortality
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Lung Cancer Screening Rates Low Among Present and Former Smokers
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Pediatric Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Challenges and Solutions
- Earlier and Later Adult BMI Associated With Multiple Myeloma Risk
- Cost-Effectiveness of Immunotherapy for Advanced Melanoma Evaluated
- VBPWPs Can Compliment Patient Management in Clinical Trials
- Communication Technology Improves Treatment Burden, Patient Perspective of Oncology Care
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|