Radiation and Your Patient
It is important that patients are advised early about the effect radiotherapy toxicity can have on their sexual anatomy and overall sexual health.
New templates from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) will augment successful cancer survivorship care planning. But a stronger effort toward implementation is still needed.
A new role for conformal radiotherapy is evolving. Targeted treatment can offer effective palliative management of pain and other side effects of cancer.
Interstitial lung disease appears to be a risk factor for radiation pneumonitis, a potentially life-threatening adverse effect of radiotherapy to the chest and thorax.
Radiogenomics is maturing into a predictor of patients' likelihood of experiencing radiotoxicities and late radiation effects.
Psychosocial decline occurs in an estimated one-third of patients undergoing radiotherapy for cancer. These declines may sometimes be ameliorated by vigilant recognition of the need to refer patients for psychosocial support interventions.
High-dose-rate (HDR) brachytherapy is typically used as a dose-escalating boost for external beam radiotherapy for prostate cancer; however, some researchers believe it might be close to graduating to a viable monotherapy.
Some patients undergoing radiotherapy for cancers of the head, neck, and brain are at risk for endocrinopathies. This article reviews the risks, detection, and management of radiotherapy-induced hypopituitarism.
Sexual dysfunction is a common and distressing side effect of prostate cancer treatment. Two new reports from randomized clinical trials offer mixed results for adjuvant pharmacotherapy intended to prevent erectile dysfunction in men undergoing radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
Although uncommon, this side effect of radiation with adjuvant drug therapy is unpredictable, sometimes delayed, and can occur with administration of antibiotics and other drugs as well as chemotherapy.
- In breast cancer survivors, lidocaine may relieve pain during intercourse
- Likelihood of lung cancer screening update
- Generic meds may boost survival in some early breast cancers
- Aromatase inhibitors substantially reduce risk of death in ER-positive breast cancer
- Activated T cell therapy developed for advanced melanoma
- Avocados may hold the answer to beating leukemia
- Cardio-oncology services may improve patient care if more widely available
- Managing oral oncology/hematology treatments in your practice
- Universal health literacy precautions recommended to assist patient understanding
- Acrylamide in Food and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Online registry improves clinical research study participation
- Five-day aprepitant versus fosaprepitant in patients receiving cisplatin
- Black men twice as likely to die from prostate cancer compared to white men
- Research findings differentiate prostate cancer tumors into five different types
- Robotic IVC thrombectomy appears successful in patients with kidney cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|