Radiation and Your Patient
Psychosocial decline occurs in an estimated one-third of patients undergoing radiotherapy for cancer. These declines may sometimes be ameliorated by vigilant recognition of the need to refer patients for psychosocial support interventions.
High-dose-rate (HDR) brachytherapy is typically used as a dose-escalating boost for external beam radiotherapy for prostate cancer; however, some researchers believe it might be close to graduating to a viable monotherapy.
Some patients undergoing radiotherapy for cancers of the head, neck, and brain are at risk for endocrinopathies. This article reviews the risks, detection, and management of radiotherapy-induced hypopituitarism.
Sexual dysfunction is a common and distressing side effect of prostate cancer treatment. Two new reports from randomized clinical trials offer mixed results for adjuvant pharmacotherapy intended to prevent erectile dysfunction in men undergoing radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
Although uncommon, this side effect of radiation with adjuvant drug therapy is unpredictable, sometimes delayed, and can occur with administration of antibiotics and other drugs as well as chemotherapy.
Soy and soy isoflavones are alleviating skin and lung toxicities from thoracic radiotherapy in preclinical study models; however, researchers stress the need for further studies.
Respiratory motion management reduces radiation exposure to nontarget tissues in patients undergoing treatment of cancers in the chest and abdomen.
These tools can help clinicians determine which treatments are ideal and explain to patients what their best options are and why.
Management of bone metastasis is an increasingly common challenge. Palliative radiotherapy is proving to effectively relieve pain and improve quality of life for patients.
Few patients with HCC are candidates for curative treatment at diagnosis. However, a new study demonstrated that stereotactic body radiotherapy...
- Key discovery in understanding successes and failures of immunotherapy
- Researchers identify biological indicator of response to new ovarian cancer drug
- Managing obesity should be part of cancer care
- Galeterone active in one form of castration-resistant prostate cancer
- Reducing side effects of everolimus administration
- Navigation and survivorship: Rationalizing your program costs
- Monitoring psychosocial function in radiotherapy
- Comparison of medications for managing nausea and vomiting
- Comparison of constipation management medications
- Chemo- and immunotherapy combination is a promising treatment for pancreatic cancer
- High tumor immune cell levels may identify women with HER2+ breast cancer who may benefit from chemotherapy alone
- Hair Dyes and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- For bladder cancer, laparoscopic radical cystectomy effective at preventing recurrence
- Aspirin and/or NSAID use may improve risk of high-grade prostate cancer
- Modifying lifestyle, HPV vaccine can help prevent anal cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|