Radiation and Your Patient
It is important that patients are advised early about the effect radiotherapy toxicity can have on their sexual anatomy and overall sexual health.
New templates from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) will augment successful cancer survivorship care planning. But a stronger effort toward implementation is still needed.
A new role for conformal radiotherapy is evolving. Targeted treatment can offer effective palliative management of pain and other side effects of cancer.
Interstitial lung disease appears to be a risk factor for radiation pneumonitis, a potentially life-threatening adverse effect of radiotherapy to the chest and thorax.
Radiogenomics is maturing into a predictor of patients' likelihood of experiencing radiotoxicities and late radiation effects.
Psychosocial decline occurs in an estimated one-third of patients undergoing radiotherapy for cancer. These declines may sometimes be ameliorated by vigilant recognition of the need to refer patients for psychosocial support interventions.
High-dose-rate (HDR) brachytherapy is typically used as a dose-escalating boost for external beam radiotherapy for prostate cancer; however, some researchers believe it might be close to graduating to a viable monotherapy.
Some patients undergoing radiotherapy for cancers of the head, neck, and brain are at risk for endocrinopathies. This article reviews the risks, detection, and management of radiotherapy-induced hypopituitarism.
Sexual dysfunction is a common and distressing side effect of prostate cancer treatment. Two new reports from randomized clinical trials offer mixed results for adjuvant pharmacotherapy intended to prevent erectile dysfunction in men undergoing radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
Although uncommon, this side effect of radiation with adjuvant drug therapy is unpredictable, sometimes delayed, and can occur with administration of antibiotics and other drugs as well as chemotherapy.
- New biomarker in breast and prostate cancer may help identify patients who will respond to taxanes
- What are immune checkpoints and how do they work?
- Among patients with myeloma undergoing chemo, high exercise compliance linked with reduced fatigue
- Efficacy and safety of docetaxel for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: A meta-analysis of Phase III randomized controlled trials
- New combination treatment effective against cutaneous metastatic melanoma
- Religiousness and spirituality have a significant impact on cancer patients' overall health and outcomes
- Dietary intervention primes triple-negative breast cancer cells for targeted therapy
- Lung cancer patients who stop smoking live longer
- Study uses dog sledding to demonstrate benefits of adapted physical activities for children with cancer
- Review examines strategies for hospital room surface cleanliness
- Two-drug combination boosts survival in patients with metastatic prostate cancer
- Tell me about your prostate cancer symptoms ... Will most men talk or walk?
- Effects of glioblastoma treatments on healthy brain tissue continues after treatment is completed
- Aspirin reverses obesity cancer risk
- Patient-centered toolkit (PCTK) improves communication between patients, caregivers, and health care team
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|