Protriptyline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Protriptyline HCl 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Protriptyline HCl:
15–40mg daily in 3–4 divided doses. Increase AM dose if needed; max 60mg daily. Elderly, adolescents: initially 5mg 3 times daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Concomitant cisapride. Acute post-MI.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults; monitor for clinical worsening or unusual changes. History of seizures. Urinary retention. Increased intraocular tension. Angle-closure glaucoma. Cardiovascular disorders. Bipolar disorder. Mania. Psychosis. ECT. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Liver disorders. Discontinue prior to surgery. Poor metabolizers (CYP2D6). Avoid abrupt cessation. Avoid sun, UV light. Elderly (monitor cardiovascular effects over 20mg/day). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hyperpyretic crisis, convulsions, death with MAOIs. Avoid during or within 5 weeks of fluoxetine. Potentiates alcohol, CNS depressants. Blocks guanethidine. Paralytic ileus, hyperpyrexia with anticholinergics, neuroleptics. Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, phenothiazines, SSRIs, propafenone, flecainide); monitor with cimetidine. Adjust sympathomimetic, anticholinergic doses. Increased seizure risk with tramadol.
CNS, anticholinergic, or cardiovascular effects (eg, drowsiness, confusion, anxiety, tachycardia, hypotension), extrapyramidal symptoms, nausea, fatigue, rash, headache, changes in blood sugar, photosensitivity, edema, blood dyscrasias, sexual dysfunction, gynecomastia, liver dysfunction.
Formerly known under the brand name Vivactil.
- Neurotoxicity After CAR T-cell Therapy May Be Associated With Endothelial Activation
- Navigation Programs Most Effective in Increasing Follow-up Colonoscopy
- New Class of Clinical Trial Enhances Research on Cancer Care Delivery
- Nivolumab Provides Better Long-Term Efficacy Compared With Docetaxel in NSCLC
- Prophylactic Prochloperazine Ineffective for Opioid-induced Nausea/Vomiting in Cancer
- Anticancer Properties of The Probiotic Kefir: A Review
- Navigating the Transition From Treatment to Breast Cancer Survivor
- Combining Radiation, Immunotherapy: An Emerging Challenge for Oncology Nursing
- Naldemedine Effective for Opioid-Induced Constipation in Cancer Pain
- Disruptions to Circadian Rhythm Linked to Prostate Cancer Surgery Regret
- Daily Aspirin Reduced Risk of HBV-Related Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Lanreotide Effectively Controls Diarrhea, Flushing in Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Case Report of a KIT-mutated Melanoma Patient With an Excellent Response to Apatinib and Temozolomide Combination Therapy
- Novel Predictive Model More Effectively Identifies Risk for Lung Cancer
- Long-Term Eltrombopag Increases Platelet Counts, Decreases Bleeding in ITP
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|