Promethazine DM Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Promethazine HCl 6.25mg, dextromethorphan HBr 15mg; per 5mL; liq; contains alcohol 7%.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Promethazine DM:
Cough and upper respiratory symptoms associated with allergy and common cold.
5mL every 4–6hrs; max 30mL/24hrs.
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–6yrs: 1.25–2.5mL every 4–6hrs; max 10mL/24hrs. 6–12yrs: 2.5–5mL every 4–6hrs; max 20mL/24hrs.
Concomitant MAOIs. Comatose states. Lower respiratory tract symptoms. Asthma.
Children <2yrs: potential for fatal respiratory depression. Atopic children. Compromised respiratory function (eg, COPD, apnea), signs/symptoms of Reye's syndrome or hepatic disease in children: avoid. Seizure disorder. Bone-marrow depression. Narrow-angle glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction. Peptic ulcer. Cardiovascular disease. Hepatic impairment. Debilitated. Elderly. Sedated patients or those confined to supine position. Avoid prolonged sun exposure. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Increased extrapyramidal effects with MAOIs. Concomitant epinephrine: not recommended. Increased CNS depression with concomitant CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, sedatives/hypnotics, narcotics, general anesthesia, tricyclics); may need to reduce dose. Caution with other anticholinergics. May get false pregnancy test results.
Antihistamine + antitussive.
Drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, sedation, insomnia, convulsive seizures, hallucinations, hyperexcitability, GI upset, respiratory depression, cardiovascular effects; possible neuroleptic malignant syndrome, cholestatic jaundice, blood dyscrasias.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|