Probenecid + Colchicine Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Probenecid 500mg, colchicine 0.5mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Probenecid + Colchicine:
Chronic gouty arthritis.
1 tab daily for 1 week, then 1 tab twice daily thereafter. Renal impairment, dose adjustments: see literature.
Acute gouty attack. Blood dyscrasias. Uric acid kidney stones. Children <2 yrs of age. Pregnancy. Concomitant salicylates (antagonizes uricosuric effect).
History of peptic ulcer. Spastic colon. GI, renal, hepatic, or hematological disorders. G6PD deficiency. Monitor blood counts in long-term therapy. Maintain adequate hydration. Alkalization of urine may be required. Debilitated. Elderly. Nursing mothers.
Affects renal clearance of many drugs (esp. penicillins). Potentiates methotrexate (monitor and reduce methotrexate dose). May potentiate thiopental, ketamine, NSAIDs, oral sulfonylureas, acetaminophen, lorazepam, rifampin, other sulfonamides. Pyrazinamide antagonizes uricosuric effect. May cause falsely high readings of theophylline levels, or false (+) RBC or hemoglobin in urine.
Uricosuric + antiinflammatory.
Headache, dizziness, GI upset, diarrhea, urinary frequency, sore gums, uric acid kidney stones, dermatitis, hematuria, renal colic, fever, peripheral neuritis, myopathy, anemia, blood dyscrasias, hemolytic anemia, purpura, bone marrow depression; rare: severe allergic reactions, anaphylaxis.
Formerly known under the brand name Colbenemid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Risk for Cardiovascular Disease Higher in Survivors of Testicular Cancer
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|